Thursday, December 22, 2011

Thirty Days - Day Seven

Day 7 – Have you ever had a story change your opinion of a character?

I can't say I've had that happen with a story. I have had it happen with roleplaying, though, which is an ongoing form of storytelling. For a long time, when I was in the Thundercats fandom, I disliked the character of Snarfer. He was too over-the-top cutesy to the point of being annoying, and since I was also a fan of the villains on that show, it really annoyed me whenever Snarf or Snarfer would defeat the bad guy.

Then, when I was modding a Thundercats play-by-email RPG, we had trouble finding someone to fill Snarfer's role. We needed him for some stories that were ongoing, so I took him over. To my surprise, the more I played him, the more he grew on me. I became fond of the little fuzzball. I still wouldn't say he's one of my favorite characters, but I do like him now.

As far as reading stories goes, there have been times that I looked at a character in a new light after reading a good fanfiction about them. The best example of this I can think of is in Purrsia's Vehicle Voltron fanfiction. While I prefer Lion Voltron to Vehicle Voltron, the Drule culture in VV does intrigue me. When I read how she wove it into her universe, I began to really like some of the Drule characters. Twila, Nerok, and Throk, especially.

1 comment:

  1. This might sound kinda weird but I think I can really understand why RPing Snarf would make you like him more. When you relate to a character even if it's by creating non-existant depth, you almost *have* to start liking them more, I think. LOL.

    ReplyDelete