Friday, December 30, 2011

Thirty Days - Day Fifteen

Day 15 – Warnings – What do you feel it most important to warn for, and what’s the strangest thing you’ve warned for in a story?

As far as warnings go, I think it's a good idea to warn for triggery content in general. One of my own personal gripes is when people don't warn for rape, or misrepresent rape as romantic in stories. It icks me out and it ruins a story for me to see it labeled as romance, only to read it and discover it's actually a rape scene. (Such as the typical "he forced her into it, but she really wanted it deep down despite screaming for him to stop" trope.) While I know that's a kink for some people, it's courteous to warn for stuff like that because not everyone finds it sexy, and some people really find it traumatizing to read about.

On a personal level, I prefer warnings for major character death, because I hate being unpleasantly surprised by seeing a favorite character die. I mean, if a fic is labeled as dark or violent, it's probably a given that character death will happen, so that's fine, but I hate it when a fic summary or description or genre gives no indication that something like that will happen, and it catches me by surprise. Killing off a favorite character of mine, most of the time, is an instant back-button out of a fic for me.

I had to pause and think about what the weirdest thing I've warned for was. I suppose it would be the warning I put on Mutants on the Prowl: "Adult, M/M/F threesome including both het and slash and utilization of their mutant powers in the fun. Completely, totally, and absolutely not work safe." Mutant-power sex kinks of an anthro plant-duck, water dog, and a shape-changing chameleon duck all getting it on is pretty weird. (And as far as I know, only five or so people have admitted to actually reading this fic.)

No comments:

Post a Comment