Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Thirty Days - Day Five

Day 5 – If you have ever had a character try to push their way into a story, whether your “muse” or not, what did you do about it?

Oh, yes. That just happened recently, when I was writing my NaNoWriMo 2011 Voltron story. Most of the action on this story took place on Arus, so the Doomites didn't get as much screen time as usual. The voice of Cossack in my mind was quite put off by this. He only quieted down when he got a scene later in the story. It worked for the plot of the story arc as a whole, so it's all good, but boy, was he annoying and insistent before that.

There have been times in all the fandoms I've written in when it seemed like certain characters really wanted a role in a given story. However, as a rule I try not to cave into writing it unless it makes sense to do so.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting... I don't get that kind of thing happening all that often but that may be becuase I usually try to think out the full story going in (I mean - the direction, not all the specifics; that kills a story for me, actually) and have a structure. I might change a few things here or there depending on how the writing is going but only if it won't change the direction of the fic (with a small handful of exceptions, and those were actually reluctant on my part).

    I couldn't ever really get behind the whole "writing as you go" thing where you don't know what's coming next. That always made me feel uncertain and knowing me, I'd be more likely to lose my drive on a fic I was writing that way, since I wouldn't have a destination in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing as you go is hard, so I don't blame you! I don't really do it without a plan, either. I think the last time I did this was many, many years ago, and it caused the fic it was in to become really long and convoluted, because it introduced another arc I hadn't planned on putting in at all to begin with, and kind of changed everything else along the way. That fic still isn't finished, and it's all Mumm-Ra's fault. Darn you, Ever-Living Source of Evil!

    The example I mentioned above was a minor thing, because that story is part of a greater arc anyway, and putting in that bit with Cossack just helped connect the dots to stuff that will happen later. It's the only reason I caved to his demands. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Y'know, I thought there were maybe alerts or something when comments were replied to. :P But no. So I'm just seeing your replies now. Oh well!

    In this case, I *do* totally have things develop as I write. In the case of TWC3, the final scene - the dream sequence of LP's - was something I wrote like four years ago and wasn't even sure which of the fics it would go into, TWC3 or 4. When I finally started writing 3, as it was going to started to develop a theme of LP considering the direction his life was going in, etc, and eventually this turned into sort of the rationale for him taking an interest in Beth; and when I looked back at the dream sequence, it made *perfect* sense for it to be at the end of the fic. There's even this element in the dream of him looking for something and not knowing what, and feeling like he's found it when he finds her. I *totally* lucked into that. XD

    ReplyDelete