Monday, December 19, 2011

Thirty Days - Day Four

Day 4 – Do you have a “muse” character, that speaks to you more than others, or that tries to push their way in, even when the story isn’t about them? Who are they, and why did that character became your muse?

Not really. This is one thing common among fanfiction writers that I've never experienced, at least not in the way I think most people mean. There are characters that inspire me more than others, but none who really tell me what to write.

That said, certain characters have a very strong voice in my mind (no, it's really not as crazy as it sounds!) and won't be shy about "voicing" their opinions to me as I'm writing. When I write Voltron, Cossack sounds off like a mini MST-er in my head about stuff. With DWD, Bushroot is there, but he's quieter. Mostly I find myself thinking things like, "Sorry, Bushy, I know you're not going to like this!" or "Oh, he's going to love this!" when I write things I know the character would feel strongly about.

Also, while I wouldn't call any character my muse, certain characters do inspire me a lot more than others. Those would be my favorites: Bushroot, Cossack, Yurak, the Lunatacs, etc. It may seem odd that for someone who has a number of OCs in her fanfiction that I haven't mentioned them. Occasionally an OC will speak up or try to grab some spotlight, but not as often as the aforementioned characters. Of these, Eddie Flood is the worst offender, and my royal Lunatacs from my Thundercats storyline, and Cassri and Tadran from my Voltron stories have also done it a time or two.

As for why those characters influence me, it's because I like them so much. I give them a lot of mental energy, so they give it back... whether I like it or not.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, this. I have to admit I never understood the whole "this character is my muse" mentality. I have a feeling it's more like what I go through - it's easier to write certain characters b/c I feel like i can relate to them a bit more - but some people like to be dramatic. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wondered what it's like for people who do have that "muse" thing going on. Some of them seem to really enjoy it, while others find it an endless source of frustration. Or both.

    ReplyDelete