Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Thirty Days - Day Twenty-Six

Day 26 – What is the oddest (or funnest) thing you’ve had to research for a story?

Most of the time I don't need to do much research for my stories. If I do, it's usually just something like double-checking a word's meaning on something like dictionary.com, or little things in canon to be sure I have the details about something that happened right.

As far as actual research goes, I've looked up scientific names of plants while writing stories involving Bushroot. I'm not a big enough biology nerd that I know all of them off the top of my head. I've also double-checked some plant biology specifics to be sure I'm doing it right. While I did know all of that at one point, it's been many years since I took the biology class that went over botany in detail, and I like to double-check what I think is correct before I write it in.

What makes that the oddest thing I've had to research? The fact that I was checking reproductive biology of plants to see how Bushroot could or would reproduce if he wanted to do so, and what a mutant plant-duck would find sexy.

No comments:

Post a Comment