Monday, January 9, 2012

Thirty Days - Day Twenty-Five

Day 25 – Music – Do you listen to music while you write? Do you make playlists to get into a certain “mood” to write your story? Do you need noise in general? Or do you need it completely quiet?

Sometimes I have music on when I write, and sometimes I don't. It depends on how distracting I find the music at the time. If I do have it on, though, it has to be the right music. The wrong background noise can throw me out of the zone for writing. Other than that, I need it to be quiet when I'm writing. It's not a coincidence that I get a lot of my writing done when my son is at school or otherwise out of the house, and when my husband is doing other stuff that doesn't involve conversing with me or trying to engage me in some way.

As far as the music goes, I am one of those people who has playlists for different characters, pairings, and storylines. For example, my "Bushroot" playlist has 16 songs. My "Bushy/Liqui" and "Bushy/Rhoda" lists have 23 and 20 songs, respectively. My "Voltron Fic (Chronicles)" playlist has 26 songs, and my "Thundercats Fic (Path)" has 15. Some songs overlap, too. Guns 'N Roses "November Rain," for instance, is on both the Chronicles (for Lotor/Allura) and Bushroot/Rhoda playlists. "Weird Science" by Oingo Boingo is on both Bushroot's playlist and the Chronicles list, because it's also a Haggar song. I also have a playlist called "Negaverse" that has songs that inspire me for the Origins of the Friendly Four storyline, and some short playlists for DW/Morgana and Megavolt/Quackerjack, as well as a general DWD fic playlist. That has a range of stuff from Ugly Kid Joe's "Everything About You" (a Negaduck song) to "Delicious" by Andy Bell/Claudia Brucken, a song about a bitter divorce that makes me think of Bud and Brooke Flood. (Although I did once make an AMV of that to Lotor/Merla, as it also fits them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment