Saturday, January 7, 2012

Thirty Days - Day Eighteen

Day 18 – Where do you get the most inspiration for your stories (aka “bunnies”) from?

Music, driving and/or walking alone, and other shows or movies. Music is probably biggest one, because if I hear a song that makes me think of a character or storyline, it gets the wheels turning. I have playlists for various characters, pairings, and storylines in my iTunes, and whenever I discover a song that fits in it, I update it. Listening to those playlists can really help get the creative juices flowing.

When I go on walks or drives, my mind often wanders to story ideas. Granted, I also tend to listen to music on these, and that gets the inspiration started, but that combined with the solitude has given me many an idea. Also, walks or drives with my husband often involve discussion about story ideas, and we bounce stuff off of each other. Lots of good ideas have come from those sessions. Unfortunately, it's also a time where I can't write anything because I'm driving or not at a computer, so sometimes that inspiration evaporates by the time I get to one.

Last but not least, sometimes watching or reading stuff in a similar genre or setting can inspire fic thoughts. Watching Game of Thrones and reading the A Song of Ice and Fire books with all of its fantasy medieval political intrigue brought me right into the mindset of writing my Voltron stories. (Yeah, I know Voltron is space fantasy, but it also has a medieval flavor to it as far as the royalty and such in it goes.) Shows like Rome and The Tudors also helped with inspiration for my Chronicles of a Dark Planet stories. It helps that all those series have characters that remind me of some of the Doom crew.

In a different vein, I've found recently that watching reruns of World's Dumbest... on TruTV makes me think of the Fearsome Five or the Lunatacs working like the cast of that as a MST crew of sorts. When Coldwin and I watch that, we both sometimes say things like, "I can see Negaduck saying that to rip on that guy," or "Haha that was such a TugMug line!"

No comments:

Post a Comment