Monday, February 21, 2011

Reading, Reviewing, and Lurking

I was thinking about this the other day and thought that this blog might be a good place to talk about it, since it's directly fanfic-related.  More than once, especially in the Darkwing Duck fandom, I've been surprised to find that my fics are being read and enjoyed by as many people as they are.  I had a bit of that in the Voltron fandom, too, actually.

In the latter, I would hardly get any reviews. I know that was in part because of the subject matter (I wrote for a less popular pairing and even more unpopular fringe bad guy characters, and didn't write the pairing that appealed to 90% of the fandom) and in part because I would wait until a fic was complete and then post all of it at once.  Apparently people don't want to gamble on a 30,000 word fic that's brand new and read it all at once.  And here I'd adopted that policy for that fandom because I remember getting heat for not completing WIPs back in the Thundercats fandom!  You can't please everyone is the lesson there, I guess.

Anyway, when I got into the Darkwing Duck fandom, I went back with posting WIPs.  Not only did I get way more reviews and readers, I also had the benefit of not having to wait so long for feedback.  Feedback along the way really does help motivate me.

So since Darkwing Duck is the fandom where I've gotten the most reviews and active amount of feedback (aside from way back in the early days of the Thundercats fandom, but I don't count that because all of fandom culture was so different back then, with no fanfiction.net and all fics on fan sites and mailing lists) I'm not complaining about a lack of reviews.  The feedback I'm getting here is the most I've gotten in any fandom, and for that I'm quite grateful!

That said, I still never thought all that many people read my fanfic and every time someone who's never left me a single review makes a reference to me as a good writer or something from my stories that they liked, either on a message board post, comment on DA, or PM or something, and it floors me, because they never left me a single review.

I'm one of those people that never assumes that a given fandom population has read my stuff.  Perhaps it comes from writing fringe or less popular characters in other fandoms for so long. (In Thundercats as well as Voltron, my favorite subjects to write about were not the most popular characters.)  Do most authors tend to assume that people have read their stuff and just not commented?  Me, I tend to think if they didn't comment they either A) Didn't read it or B) Had nothing particularly nice to say about it so they didn't bother to review.  And let's face it, my ego would rather believe it's A anyway. ;)

I suppose that's because when I read stories, I try to leave a review if I liked it in any way.  Reviews are like little gold nuggets to authors.  I've yet to meet any that don't like getting them, aside from those whackadoo entitled folks you see posting on places like fanficrants where they bitch about how the reviews of "I liked it" or with netspeak are insulting to them and they'd rather not have them. Or reviews that are just spam or something, of course.

However, I generally don't leave bad reviews.  I've left a couple of critical ones in my time, but they were when something was just so terrible that I had to speak up.  On the rare occasion that I do leave something negative, I try to be polite and constructive about it.  More often than not, though, I'd rather not bother, because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or get a knee-jerk "you suck" flame response back.

So with this in mind, it always comes as a surprise to me when someone mentions how much they liked my story/stories if they've never left me a review.  Do any of you get feelings like this?  Or if you are one of those people who tends not to review stories, even ones you enjoy, what are your reasons for it?  I'm curious.

3 comments:

  1. This. OMG so completely this. I am a compulsive reviewer - as you've seen - if I read something, especially something in-progress, and I like it I will leave a comment. Sometimes I'll even go through something that's completed and still leave a comment on every chapter. Well, you've seen that, I'm doing that on "Tension Convention". *G*

    I do it b/c I like to get comments and I don't get many either, so I assume other people like to get them and I know how they feel when they don't. And yes, like you, I assume that if people don't review they're probalby not reading it. I do keep looking at my stats on FF.net (which have gone WAY down lately even though those ads aren't there anymore... I wonder if the ads chased people away or if I'm just not interesting now that I don't have a WIP? *G*) so I know I get hits, but I tend to assume that they're either people who are rereading, or bots, or people who just don't really like it enough to keep going.

    I was floored when, as I got to know more people on DA, more and more - many of whom may be reading this, HI! ;) - were like "Oh, I have to tell you, BETH IS AWESOME!" or just randomly gave me gift art or what; like you said, if I don't hear from someone, I assume they haven't read it. Period. I mean, I guess I need to readjust that. :) I *do* get reviews, yes, but they're usually from the same pool of people and then there's another pool of (as far as I know) approximately the same size that does NOT review and until they said anything they were completely anonymous. I guess they prefer it that way. *lol* Me, I will always be known as the incredibly talkative stalker; I guess I'm just Stalkative. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I finally figured out how to comment on this blog! Finally! Anyway, my fics usually don't wrack up much in the way of reviews (with the exception of a story I got on hiatus which has 70+ reviews), so I do, occasionally get a little pouty-faced when I realize there are tons of people who will favorite my story or add me on their author alert but never review. However, I believe what goes around, comes around, so, I don't have any right to complain.

    Because I'm one of those people that don't leave reviews very often. I have several reasons (or excuses, some might say) why I don't leave reviews very often.

    1) The fic already has a lot of reviews (I've read fics that have 100+ reviews). I figure my review wouldn't really matter much, and anything that can be said has already been said.

    2) I'm on a reading kick where I read one fic, and then go straight to another one. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Do not leave review.

    3) I'm feeling particularly lazy. When I write a review, I like to be thorough. I've written reviews that look like essays in the past.

    4) I liked the fic, but I didn't like it enough to spend time writing a review. I dunno if its just me, but I like to spend time and energy on fics that I really, really like. If the fic just makes me go, "Cool." There really isn't much else for me to say. If the fic looks like it has potential to be really great if the author could just overcome a few problems, then I'll leave a review because I want to see that author improve.

    5) There's some things that irked me about the fic. I might have liked it for the most part, but there might be one or two things that bug me. When I get irked, I don't feel much in the mood for leaving an encouraging or "here's how you can get better" review.

    ...

    And that's pretty much the gist of it. That's some of the reasons why I don't leave more reviews than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zebeckras - It seems that you and I have a similar attitude toward reviewing. I really appreciate that you leave the reviews you do on my stories. Even after a story is completed, I like to hear thoughts readers have as they go through it. Personally, I never consider receiving multiple reviews in a row from the same reader spam unless, well, they are actual spam or something.

    One thing you mentioned that I don't do is look at hit counts very often. Since I have no way of knowing what's a bot or a browser reload or what, it seems unreliable... not to mention depressing, when you see a high number of hits compared to a small number of reviews. I do think a lot of people just plain don't review.

    Celey - Thank you for sharing your perspective on what leads you to review (or not review) a given story. For #1, I can't speak for all authors, but personally I would never complain about just one more short but sweet review on a fic. I understand not wanting to feel repetitive though. I hope you never came across an author ungracious enough to complain about a nice review you might have left, though!

    The other reasons all make sense as well. Number four especially, if the story has a particular reason that makes me go "blargh!" I won't review. Especially if it's something that's very much a personal taste rather than something more universally agreed upon as bad writing. (For instance, my dislike of character death and killing off a character I like out of the blue, or un-warned for rape, rape written as romance, and things like that.)

    ReplyDelete