Friday, January 28, 2011

A fic blog?

So, I've been inspired to create a blog to discuss my fanfic projects by Zebeckras (of The Weblog Chronicles fame) and now Fies (with her Blooming Perennials blog for her works).

As a short introduction, I've written extensively in three fandoms: first Thundercats, then Voltron, and most recently, Darkwing Duck.  At the moment I'm only really active in the Darkwing Duck fandom.  It's where the lion's share (duck's share?) of my inspiration has been the last couple of years.  I don't consider my primary projects from the other fandoms abandoned, exactly, but they are on hiatus.

Still, I might discuss them here from time to time, as I do sometimes get the urge to tinker with them.  That's one of the reasons I don't call them abandoned.  Inspiration can come back at any time.  I've left my oldest epic-length fic, Path into the Darkness, untouched once from 2001 to 2003 (and this fic was originally started in 1998), and then left the storyline alone from 2003 to 2008. (I was primarily writing Voltron fanfiction at this time, most prominently my Chronicles of a Dark Planet series.) I never did get back to Path, but in 2008 I went back into the Thundercats fandom long enough to rewrite and revamp the works that take place before it (Evil's Bride, Spellbound, and Revival) as well as write its prequel, Dawn of Peace, for that year's NaNoWriMo. 

I've been wanting to put the 300 or so pages done of Path itself up on Archive of Our Own, but since that writing is 2003-era compared to the 2008-era, there's a noticeable quality difference, so I'd have to do some revamping of it first.  It'll be a huge project, so it's been sitting on the back burner, especially since I'm more motivated to work on Darkwing Duck stuff now.

My attention in that has been somewhat splintered.  I have a primary story-verse that progresses from Thankless Season to Tension Convention, to eventually include more fics.  The Like Earth and Water series is a subset of that, only it's exclusively Bushroot/Liquidator shippy stuff.  I prefer to keep the main continuity stuff as having more of a gen feel, at least in that while pairings are mentioned, they aren't the primary focus.  At least not yet.  As things progress, that will change, since the DW/Morgana relationship will become more prominent, I have plans to pair Launchpad up with an OC, and Bushroot/Liquidator will become a stronger theme as well.  Still, I don't intend to ever take my main continuity fics beyond a T rating, so any mature stuff for any pairing will be written in separate fics.  I figure that keeps everyone happy, since 'ships are something that are such personal taste for many readers.

In a completely different universe (well, except that it also counts the events and backstory for Bushroot in Thankless Season) I'm writing Bushroot/Rhoda.  I like both Bushroot/Liquidator and Bushroot/Rhoda too much to choose between them, so I'm just writing two different universes.  I have a lot of ideas I'd like to implement beyond Forget Me Not once I get it finished, so I'm hoping to turn this into a full alternate story arc.

Then there's the Origins of the Friendly Four story.  Because it's based in the Negaverse it doesn't really get classified as falling into either of the above, except that I also use my backstory of Bushroot in it.  Nega-Reggie certainly won't ever make up with Nega-Rhoda given what's played out so far, but I don't really see anything happening like a parallel to my other fics, either.  Therefore I consider it its own little continuity.

Last but not least are the Citrus Taste fics.  Most of these were written as one-shots to fill a prompt, so they don't fall into any continuity, aside from Door Number One, which is a Like Earth and Water story. I still have a load of prompts left for this, but haven't filled any lately.  Hmm.  I should probably rectify that one of these days. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Mwuahaha. Now I'm watching you all, like a true stalker. I hope I can gain some inspiration from reading into your fiction insights. You guys are all top-notch writers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thank you! I'm glad to have you reading! :)

    ReplyDelete